Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Eggs Benedict Arnold

Sometimes I make decisions that are truly baffling.  Most of the time these decisions lead to nothing more than having to explain myself in great detail to others.  Other times there are consequences, some serious, some annoying, but usually never painful.  This morning I made a breakfast decision that resulted in great discomfort...and I'm still recovering.

Today was the company National Sales Meeting. I'm not in sales, but the team I'm on develops the relationships and account plans that supports the sales team.  I won't get into details because that would be boring.  Just know that I'm not in sales.

Anyway, there was a breakfast buffet at the hotel where the sales meeting was being held.  Breakfast buffets are a weakness of mine.  Scrambled eggs, toast, pork products of every imaginable kind...what's not to like?  Well, this being Seattle someone always has to get too clever by half and Pacific Northwest up a recipe.  The result today was eggs Benedict served over crab cakes.  In theory, that's not a bad combo.  I love eggs Benedict and have been known to enjoy a crab cake from time to time.  What isn't good in theory or reality is to come in on the tail end of a breakfast buffet and partake of undercooked eggs and crab cakes that have been sitting around in a tepid warming tray for an undetermined amount of time.

A couple of hours after my ill-advised breakfast I got hit with searing stomach pain, dizziness, and nausea.  By the time I left to catch the train, I could barely form a proper sentence.  Luckily, I still had my Alka-Seltzer stash in my desk, so I downed some and that took the edge off.  Otherwise, it was going to be a very interesting train ride home as I honestly felt like I was going to heave my pancreas.  It was not good times.

It was touch and go when I got home, but the worst seems to have passed.  Still feeling a little lightheaded and really wiped out, but I don't think I'll be doing toilet bowl pullups anytime soon.  So, winning!  However, next time I'm presented with the option of eggs Benedict served over crab cakes at a breakfast buffet I am going to pass.  Instead, I'm going for the chicken fried geoduck and poached eggs.  What could go wrong there?   

No comments:

Post a Comment