Monday, January 28, 2013

Golden Slumbers

Maddy attended her first slumber party Saturday night, which of course filled TBH and myself with all kinds of anxiety.  She has spent the night at a friends houses before, but for some reason the slumber party was a bigger deal.  Perhaps it's because her attendance was in question up until the day of the party itself as 9 year old kids are really crappy social planners.  See, there were at least 3 different Maddy's that were invited to the party...a couple of Madelyns and a Madison.  My Maddy never received a proper invite because the b-day girl throwing the party was told by Maddy that I knew her dad and we would work it out.  Well, I do know her dad, I met him during 3rd grade field day last spring.  That's it.  We aren't besties, exchanging recipes for apple brown betty or anything like that.  I don't even remember his name, but Maddy recalled me meeting him and that was that...which means we never received a proper invite.

TBH and I found out Maddy was invited to the slumber party the night before when Maddy dropped it during casual conversation, but we had no phone numbers to call and no address.  Maddy assumed I had worked everything out with the birthday girl's dad and vice versa.  Luckily, the mom of Maddy's best friend got all parties involved to actually talk, and everything was worked out.  Otherwise, TBH and I were going to be undertaking some serious emotional damage control if Maddy would have been unable to attend....

...but the crisis was averted, Maddy attended and took part in a scavenger hunt at the local mall, a TP assault on a neighbor's house, and the thrill of staying up way too late.  All activities were reportedly fueled by shrieking and copious amounts of Red Vines.  When I picked her up Sunday morning she looked tired, but very happy.  Nothing traumatic happened, no one was snubbed or had their feelings hurt...it just sounded like a residence full of 9-10 year old girls that refused, for the most part, to go to sleep.  In the end, TBH and I were relieved she had a great time...and that the party did not take place at our house.

2 comments:

  1. Thumbs up for the Posies reference. That said, a house full of 9 year olds sounds like a nightmare to me. More power to the parents who were able to put up with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear she had a good time! It will be your turn soon enough!

    ReplyDelete