Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Putting The 'It' In Insanity

When purchasing a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce, it is important to study the condition of the contents before opening said bottle.  The ingredients tend to separate over time, something I would have noticed had I given the bottle a once over...but no, I had to go and open it right up and use it.  Now, the bottle is specific in the amount that should be used, and that amount is no more than 2-3 drops.  The recommended amount was all I was going to use, but let's touch on the separation of ingredients for a moment...

I bought this bottle of Insanity Sauce during our recent trip to Leavenworth.  For all I know, the bottle has been sitting in Washington state's 'Little Bavaria' since Christmas of 2006 as that was a good year for habanero peppers globally (note:  I made that up...I don't know if 2006 was a barn burner of year for habanero peppers).  Anyway, there's no expiration date on the bottle, or any date that makes sense, so I figure we're all good.  Smash cut to this evening in my kitchen...

I always put a couple of drops of Insanity Sauce in my guacamole.  It adds a nice kick and spicy garlicky flavor, because what good is hot sauce if it adds nothing but heat?  Well, when I went to add my 2-3 drops of Insanity Sauce to the guacamole 2 teaspoons of dark red oil ran out of the bottle...and let me tell ya, it was eye watering and the scent stung the nostrils.  At that moment, I should have stopped...but I was not about to throw out the guacamole. Avocados are friggin' expensive this time of year, and as some of you know, I'm currently on a fixed income. Therefore, I went ahead and made the guacamole, undiluted habanero oil and all. As stated earlier, a couple of drops of Insanity Sauce adds kick to most dishes. My first taste of tonight's guacamole was not a kick, it was uncomfortable. It was as if I had added a couple of drops of blood from the devil himself into the guacamole. I'm quite used to spicy and hot foods, but I had to step back from this to figure out a way to mitigate the heat. The only thing I could think of was to cut it with more guacamole and off the shelf salsa. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, so that's what I did. The end result was good, the heat just right...but Dave should add a 'Shake Well Before Using' label to his Insanity Sauce, especially if that sauce has been sitting on the shelf of a novelty store in a faux Bavarian village in the middle of the Cascade mountains...

No comments:

Post a Comment