Sunday, August 26, 2012

Put Me In Coach...

I volunteered to coach Jocelyn's 5-6 year old girls soccer team.  The Better Half kind of dared me to do so after the league sent out a blast email looking for some parents to step up and volunteer.  So, I filled out the application, answered some very direct and pointed questions during the background check, and now await my fate.  Since no other parents have applied, I'll probably get the gig. 

In the meantime, I'm doing everything I can to resist the temptation of turning Jossy's team into my personal Cobra Kai like war machine.  However, I've already started thinking of drills to implement come the first practice.  Someone is going to have to instill a sense of hustle and aggressiveness into these kids because they probably aren't learning those traits at home.  Damn you, checked out parents!!!!  Anyway, I think the take away phrase from our first practices will be 'getting after it'...someone has to win those 50/50 balls and if 60% of the time we can win them all the time, well then...I'll take it. 

Oh, and having fun...yeah, the kids are out there to have fun, learn esprit de corp, team work, and sportsmanship...all things we'll talk about after we win.

Can you sweep the leg in soccer?  

1 comment:

  1. I will admit that I'm pretty cautious about doing anything with kids for fear of some Sandusky-esque allegations. All it takes is one false accusation to ruin your life. So my recommendation is to always have another adult present to vouch for you.

    And just so there's no confusion, I'm not suggesting the allegations against Sandusky are false, I just don't have any examples of someone who was falsly accused off the top of my head. I just know it has happened. Oh, Brian Banks. I guess I do have an example.

    ReplyDelete