Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Band Perry

Hey there...what's up?

Anyone that has spent any time on my blog or follows me on Twitter knows how I feel about a majority of today's popular country music, especially the idiotic dreck put out by the male's of the genre.  Turn on any country station right now and you'll hear songs about beaches, hanging out in Mexico, flip flops, and sand.  Male country, um, 'artists' are churning out the musical equivalent of 'Beach Blanket Bingo'.  It's ridiculously stupid.  The biggest offender of this trend would be cartoon turtle faced Kenny Chesney, but there are others that have followed him down that path as well.  Unfortunately, the other trend in male country songs is the dumbass novelty song, something everyone's favorite albino Sasquatch, aka Toby Keith, excels at.  He could put out a double album of his imbecilic cartoon country...and people would buy it.  So I guess that particular joke is on me.

If you want to hear tough country music with some heart, grit, and soul, you have to turn to the women.  Firecrackers like Miranda Lambert are doing what they can to keep country music from digressing to mindless party anthems.  Carrie Underwood has also turned up the guts and sass now that she has let Jesus take the wheel.  And while old school icons like Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn aren't afraid of dumbing it down to turn a quick buck, they can still bring it as witnessed here and here

I was kind of late coming around on The Band Perry, mainly because the two male members of the band look like they walked off the set of an off-Broadway Syd & Marty Kroft Bugaloos tribute.  Their first single didn't do much for me either as it just sounded and came across as another country song by a cute girl fronted band.  The I heard 'If I Die Young' and I was just floored by the sincerity and honesty of the lyrics and melody.  Lead singer Kimberly Perry wrote what I consider to be one of the most beautiful songs I have heard from a mainstream country artist, Bugaloos be damned.

Their debut album is rock solid, but I'm seriously looking forward to their next release as The Band Perry have been working with Rick Rubin.  The first single was released a while ago, but I'm just now getting around to writing about because I'm wildly inefficient and inconsistent.  'Better Dig Two' is the first track, check it out below....

No comments:

Post a Comment