Thursday, June 9, 2011

1994 Camry With Oil Leak

I've been chasing oil leaks in the Camry for over 2 years now. The latest leaks are coming from the rear main seal and, from what I can tell, the high pressure hose that appears to be attached to the power steering pump...this is a 6 cylinder engine and it still starts with no problems and has plenty of power. I just don't know if I should sell this thing for $1000 bucks, trade it in for half that, or sink another $1000 dollars (or more) into it to try and stop the leaks. The exterior is in okay shape, but the interior is a borderline disaster. I'm leaning towards selling it for what I can get rather than have it repaired...my big fear is that even a new rear main seal will leak given the age of the engine and the fact that it has close to 265k miles on it.

What to do, what to do?!?!?

1 comment:

  1. I've got a 1994 Mercury Sable station week begging a similar question. I don't want a new car payment (aiieee!!) and don't want to fix the car (tranny is going, engine leaks all fluids) because it was free. It was meant to last a year, and has put in two years of service. This summer, it will probably commit suicide.

    I want a new car. I just don't want the monthly outlay. So, I'm driving it until it dies, and topping the fluids off from time to time.And praying...

    ReplyDelete