Thursday, September 15, 2011

Don’t Let’s Start

This blog has come to another screeching halt. Part of the problem has been time, as in a lack of due to raising kids and not wanting to ignore The Better Half. The other issue has been a crippling case of self-induced writer's block. I have several posts in the hopper, but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger and getting them published. Why? Well, it's because I have been afraid of offending people. Yes, you read that correctly…I don't want to offend the tender sensibilities of Facebook friends that may visit this blog from time to time…

When I started the original Grande Pescados back on WordPress, it was surprisingly successful. I developed a decent readership and would sometimes get over 1,000 hits a day. The high points of the original Grande Pescados blog was my correspondence with Dave Wakeling of The English Beat/General Public fame and my bitchy slap fight with a Counting Crows band member. Not bad for a tatty blog that I didn't do anything to advertise. The 'new' Grande Pescados is lucky to get 5 hits a day…and that's with me posting links to the site on Facebook. This has been discouraging, to say the least.

The lack of consistent readership has been a motivation killer. I can admit to that, but the main reason no one has been reading this blog is that it hasn't been very entertaining…my writing has been stifled and self-censored, making my posts boring as hell. I've been so afraid of turning people off with my opinions and sometimes abrasive style that I have become an effing drag when it comes to writing damn near anything.

I started Grande Pescados because I wanted an outlet for my thoughts and opinions and to entertain my readers with a chuckle or two. I'm never going to make everyone happy, but in trying to do so I've made no one happy…including myself. That has to change if I am going to continue this blog, which is what I plan to do.

So, thanks again for stopping by. If any of the past or future content offends or upsets you then this isn't the blog for you. If you disagree with anything I've written or want to add to it, please leave comments. And for eff's sake, people, learn how to take a joke…okay?

1 comment: