Tuesday, January 10, 2012

And One More Thing…

…I would like to add to my list of non-resolution resolutions: I want to get bitten by a non-service dog at a Starbucks, Lowe's, Top Foods…any place that refuses to enforce the 'No Dogs Except Service Animals' policy. For some reason, establishments have turned a blind eye to people bringing their mutts in to stores, even the places that serve food. For example, about a week ago at the Starbuck's near my office some jacknut brought his drooly bulldog into the store…next thing you know, the dog is nosing through the food cooler (the one with the yogurt, bottled water, etc…at floor level), which is just unacceptable. This wasn't a service dog, just a pet on a leash that the owner brought into the store. Dogs are dirty and gross, and don't give me that crap about their mouths being cleaner than a human mouth because that is just flat out wrong. Dog mouths contain different bacteria and germs and viruses, like strep, that can get people sick…not to mention that their snouts are used for all sorts of nasty things. Consumers shouldn't have to worry if their yogurt cup was just on the receiving end of dog snout…a snout that just greeted a golden retriever minutes before being allowed inside the store…Top Foods has been allowing more and more dogs into their stores as well, and I don't care if the owner is carrying them around. They are handling a dog and then perusing the produce and hauling their filthy beasts through the bakery and deli sections…all the while their dogs are shedding, spreading dander, and leaving germs and disease behind.

Food establishments need to put a stop to the 'my dog is as important as a person' horsesh*t right now, hence my crusade to be bitten by a non –service dog. The way I figure it, should a non-service animal that should not have been allowed inside a store bites me then the establishment is responsible for damages….and if a dog bites one of my kids at Lowe's or Top Foods, well then…that would be something. Not that I would put my girls in harms way, but I've already dealt with a German shepherd at Home Depot growling at Maddy not that long ago. Had the dog lunged for her….that would not be pretty for the dog, the dog's owner, and Home Depot.

None of the above means I am anti-dog, I'm not…what I am is anti-dog inside stores that are not PetSmart. Dogs have no business perusing the aisles of stores not designed for them, especially if that store serves food. There are health and allergy issues at stake, not to mention serious liability damages should one of these dogs bite or lunge for another shopper. These businesses need to step up and enforce their own rules before something goes sideways for them when a dog does act out…and I plan on doing my part by attempting to pet each and every dog I see in a place they shouldn't be in…if your dog bites me, so be it…that's a discussion I am willing to have with you and store management…and if your goddamn dog is the kind of dog you have to warn others about before they try and pet them, they don't belong inside the store to begin with.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment