Wednesday, March 2, 2011

More Random Randomness...Now With Tiger Blood!

Once again, I have found it easier to post something on Facebook rather than blog. While FB offers immediate gratification, it does not satisfy my inner snark…so I am going to continue to try and find time to blog…

And that brings me to Charlie Sheen. I honestly don’t know what to make of the guy. He might be crazy like a fox, or crazy like an unhinged coke fiend. Either way, his antics have been highly entertaining…if his cocaine ingestion is anywhere near what he has hinted at then he has the constitution of Keith Richards and Secretariat combined. He’s a thoroughbred partier if his claims are to be believed. So how did he reportedly pass a recent drug test? Apparently, blow doesn’t stay in your system very long. It’s water soluble, so if he managed to keep his nose out of the stuff for 36 hours or so it is highly possible that he could test clean. All I know is that the guy looks like hell right now, completely worn out and off the rails. His behavior actually reminds me of Tony Montana’s near the end of ‘Scarface’…delusional and aggressively self-confident but with a healthy does of drug fueled paranoia to keep himself in afterburner mode. This will not end well.

I’m not sure why people watch American Idol. Most of the ‘talent’ I’ve seen this season is mediocre …we’re talking community college Spring musical vocal chops here… and the country fella with the deep voice looks like a ventriloquist puppet brought to life by black magic. The new judges are laughable. Jennifer Lopez judging a singing competition is almost as bad as Paula Abdul judging a singing competition…both of their voices combined are weaker than the Obama administration’s handling of the ongoing uprisings in the Middle East. At least Paula brought the crazy, J-Lo’s well practiced earnestness is just annoying. Randy Jackson is still a tool and Steven Tyler is, well…I don’t even know why he’s on the show. What does he bring to the table besides tie-dyed scarves and fashion sense he seems to have learned from watching ‘Crocodile Dundee’? The only AI winners that seem to have amounted to anything are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood...and Clarkson seems to be more interested in the craft services table rather than singing these days. Daughtry is just wretched and don’t try and argue with me about it, you’ll lose.

While I didn’t think the Oscars were the disaster some highly emotional pundits seem to believe it was, I do think the Academy needs to give Justin Timberlake a shot at hosting. He’s a song/dance guy, is likable, and doesn’t take himself too seriously. James Franco treated his hosting duties as if it were another one of his side projects or performance art…I almost felt bad for Anne Hathaway until she started cheerleading about ½ through the show. Her fawning over Oprah was dumb. Timberlake knows how to work a crowd and keep a live show moving. Plus, he has experience. He has hosted the ESPYs before and was able to dole out zingers to a bunch of egomaniacal performance enhanced jocks and survive. ‘Roid rage is nothing to scoff at.

Anyhoo – the Oscars...why ‘The Kids Are Alright’ was nominated for anything is a mystery. The writers and directors had a much better film lurking in the shadows of what was produced. Why the son wanted to find the donor/father was not even touched, and I have a feeling that was done intentionally as to not offend the tender liberal sensibilities this film was aimed at.

‘Inception’ was probably the best film I saw last year with ‘Toy Story 3’ a close second. I still have to see ‘The Fighter’, but something tells me Marky Mark is going to be the weak link in that movie. When are people going to realize that Wahlberg is a lousy one-note actor? He’s the J-Lo of the movie industry…financially successful, but in the end his performances are forgettable. Oh, and I haven’t seen ‘True Grit’ yet either…or ‘Black Swan’…those I will catch on DVD when they come out….’True Grit’ looks good though, and it is a Cohen Bros film…so it has that going for it.

Am I the only one using the Deli entrance at Top Foods to avoid the Girl Scout Cookie Assassins lying in wait by the main entrance?

That’s all I have for now, and I know that this is another disappointing post…but I’ve got some stuff in the hopper that should make up for this lameness….

1 comment:

  1. First of all, your posts are never disappointing... I find them highly entertaining and agree with you 75% of the time. :) I don't know why you think Daughtery is wretched... he's awesome :) I love Steven Tyler, he's just damn funny; and as for JT hosting the Oscars, perfect :) He's my favorite SNL host :) RE: the middle school leather jacket thingy, don't remember that. What middle school did you go to by the way? remember you in elementary and high school... middle school, though, not so much ;)

    ReplyDelete