Friday, March 4, 2011

Oscar Fashion

All of the attention paid to Oscar red carpet fashion just slays me, mainly because Oscar fashion is an industry unto itself. It’s not like any of the dresses/gowns worn to the Oscars are going to show up en masse at the local Macy’s or Ross Dress For Cheap. Even if they did, when would the average female fashionista wear that heinous sandwich board dress that Cate Blanchett sported to the show Sunday night and not look ridiculous? To work? Date night at Applebees? Neighborhood Bunko?

Back in junior high one of my classmate’s parents bought him a red leather jacket like the one Michael Jackson wore in the ‘Thriller’ video. He was mocked and tormented relentlessly for it, not because Jackson was passé or had fallen out of favor – Michael was at the peak of his popularity when ‘Thriller’ was released – but because it was such an unbelievable poseur move. I mean, who the hell did he think he was showing up to home room in a Michael Jackson jacket? My question to the ladies is this – if a gal showed up at a social function in a dress that was an obvious Oscar night recreation, would you mock the person wearing it, or would you be impressed?

2 comments:

  1. If I am truly honest, I'd most likely mock. I don't really go anywhere that would call for such a formal outfit. Bad me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kim on this one. Mockery all the way! (I can't help it - it's in my DNA)

    ReplyDelete