Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dip Or Wall???

Not sure when it happened, exactly, but I now find myself with a job and not a career. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have a job when so many are unemployed. I'm not miserable and seething because I feel I deserve better or am above what I do. Oh no, we'll have NONE of that, especially since I am surrounded by whimpering tools that feel entitled to not only 6 figure pay, but constant praise for simply showing up and doing what they get paid to do. Puppies have less need for attention and affirmations than some of my co-workers. Good times.

I don't think I'm alone in this feeling either. More and more individuals are finding themselves in this position, and having recently read Seth Godin's 'The Dip' I am actively beginning to wonder what I can do to either break out of this trench or quit. Is this a temporary feeling that will improve if I keep hammering away and vigorously push through...or am I actually in a cul-de-sac and nothing I do will improve my situation? Hard to tell as this feeling is recent, but I don't want to quit too early if this is just a dip...however, I don't want to spin my wheels if I've actually hit a dead end wall....ugh.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. If you're truly unhappy, get another job, then leave. If you find yourself staring at the ceiling in the morning physically ill at the thought of going to your job, you are unhappy there. If you find yourself not caring if you do a good job or not, you are unhappy there.

    Folks who hate their job end up getting fired or quitting in a fit of anger. Much better to leave while you still give a darn.

    I say start looking for a job. That will take long enough for you to take stock in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Doug. You are at a point in your life now where you don't need to deal with everyone else's B.S. - especially at work. Do you want to be feeling like this in 5 years? 1 year? Two weeks from now? Heck no. I say look for a job. But just remember to get the names right in the panel interview next time.

    ReplyDelete