Monday, October 26, 2009

SHO 'Nuff?

If I had the money and hadn't just terminated the lease on my Fusion early, I would most definitely find myself interested in the Ford Taurus SHO. This isn't your daddy's relegated to the rental fleet Taurus...

Boasting a 365 HP V-6 EcoBoost engine, all-wheel drive, and an aggressive exterior and interior redesign, I'm thinking Ford has something to compete with the Germans and most definitely the Japanese. Toyota may have the lion's share of the sensible sedan market covered with the Camry, but the Camry is dull to drive and the Cylon inspired sheet metal leaves much to be desired. I'm thinking the Taurus SHO (Super High Output)can peel away some Toyota and even Honda advocates...while the SHO is no A-4 or 3-Series, it is in the same class as the VW line and for the price, I'd say VW should be worried (Subaru lost the plot a few years ago, went boy-racer demographic, and has yet to regain my goodwill after a horrific dealer experience).

The only negatives I can see will require some work from Ford, mainly in dispelling the perception that Ford vehicles are crap. I loved my Fusion, it was fun to drive, had a great interior, and I never had trouble with it. Most Fusion owners feel the same way, so I'm thinking the bias against the Blue Oval is melting away. Hopefully, the Taurus SHO is just as reliable. Price could be another concern. Introducing a car with a sticker price pushing up hard on 38k may be folly at this particular point in the recession. With the job market showing no signs of recovering Ford may be hard-pressed to find buyers. The Better Half and I may be in the market for a car in the next 12 to 18 months, but 38k is not what we'd be willing to spend....criminey, 8k is probably too much after the prolonged joblessness we endured last year.

Anway, I think the Taurus SHO is a sharp car and a solid effort from Ford. Maybe if they had concentrated on a Taurus redesign 8 years ago and laid off the SUVs, they would be in better shape?

No comments:

Post a Comment